Pilgrim Congregational Church (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
Pilgrim Congregational Church was established in 1914 by the Reverand Charles Haven Myers along with a small group of people from First Methodist Church. These individuals were seeking doctrinal liberty and a church free from outside influence. For several years the congregation met in various impermanent locations until building their first church building in 1921, and then moving again in 1959 into their current building.
In 1961 the Pilgrim Church became a member of the United Church of Christ (UCC). Prior to joining, the church played a leading role in the Civil Rights Movement in Chattanooga throughout the 1960s and continued these efforts during the 1970s. In 2003, the church declared itself an Open and Affirming Church in the UCC, opening its congregation people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
"History of Pilgrim Congregational Church," Pilgrim Congregational Church, accessed August 27, 2015, http://pilgrim-church.com/history.htm.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: MS-005 001
Scope and Contents This collection contains correspondence regarding theology between David Lewis Beebe, Scottish theologian T. Ralph Morton, and English author Elizabeth Goudge from 1972 to 1978.