Chattanooga Area Library Association records
Collection — Box: MS-073 001
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, directories, newsletters, minutes, and other business documenting the membership and activities of the Chattanooga Area Library Association (CALA) from 1970 until 1996.
- Chattanooga Area Library Association (Organization)
Language of Materials
This collection contains materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright status of this collection has not been evaluated.
Biographical / Historical
The Chattanooga Area Library Association was formed in December 11, 1937, for the purpose of professional development, networking, and strengthening the library profession in the Chattanooga area. At the time of its organization, it was called the Chattanooga Library Club; it operated as such from 1937 until December 1939, when it fell dormant. It was reorganized in 1945 under the name Chattanooga-Hamilton County Library Association. The CALA history – presented to the association on November 3, 1955, by Bertie Wenning (included in this collection) – states that the official records prior to May 1948 have been lost. In 1951, the organization changed its name to The Chattanooga Area Library Association (or CALA). The group appears to have remained active continuously from 1951 until the present. It holds regular meetings focusing on a variety of topics of interest to local librarians. Membership fluctuates between 30 and 100+ persons, including academic, public, school, and special librarians.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 Box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.
Processing of this collection is complete.
- Chattanooga Area Library Association records
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description