Skip to main content

Tennessee Wesleyan College records and histories

 Collection — Box: UA-00-01-06 001
Identifier: UA-00-01-06

Scope and Contents

This series contains administrative records, photographs and postcards depicting campus, faculty lists, a history manuscript, dating from 1882 to 1921 and two photocopied book chapters from books published much later. The first book chapter is titled "Tennessee Wesleyan College: The War Years and the Twenties" and comes from a book titled Over Here and After: McMinn County, Tennessee During World War I and the Twenties. Edited by Genevieve Wiggins and Bill Akins. Athens, Tennessee: McMinn County Historical Society, 1986. The second book chapter is titled "American Temperance University, American University, The Mooney School" from an unidentified book.

Dates

  • 1882-1921

Conditions Governing Access

This series is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright status of this series has not been evaluated.

Biographical / Historical

Tennessee Wesleyan College (presently known as Tennessee Wesleyan University) was founded in Athens, Tennessee in 1854 as Odd Fellows Female College. Name changes and academic focuses for the institution are numerous. In 1857 the name changed to Athens Female College, in 1866 to East Tennessee Wesleyan College, in 1867 to East Tennessee Wesleyan University, and in 1886 to Grant Memorial University. In 1889 the name changed again as the school consolidated with Chattanooga University to become Grant University—one institution with two campuses. This arrangement lasted until 1906, when the Athens branch changed names to the Athens School of the University of Chattanooga. In 1925 the University of Chattanooga and the Athens School severed ties and at that time the institution's name became Tennessee Wesleyan College. Despite the separation in the 1920s, Tennessee Wesleyan College and the University of Chattanooga shared many commonalities for several decades, both being small liberal arts colleges in the South. Additionally, LeRoy A. Martin came to the University of Chattanooga in 1959 from Tennessee Wesleyan College, where he had served as president there since 1950. Under Martin's leadership, Tennessee Wesleyan College grew and became a four-year degree-granting institution. In 2016, the schools amended its charter for a name change to Tennessee Wesleyan University.

Extent

0.21 Linear Feet (1 container)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.

Processing Information

Processing of this series is in progress.
Title
Tennessee Wesleyan College records and histories
Status
Under Revision
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collection Area Details

Part of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Archives Collection Area

Contact:
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga Tennessee 37403 USA
423-425-4503