Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
This collection contains recorded and filmed interviews, transcripts, digital images, and sound recordings regarding the American chestnut, chestnut blight, and the Appalachian Region recorded by Bethany Baxter in 2008 as part of the original research for the thesis entitled. An oral history of the American chestnut in Southern Appalachia, submitted to the faculty of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in partial fulfillment of the requirements of the degree of Master of Science.
This collection contains Catino's correspondence and papers as well as journals, artwork, and photographs created by Emma Bell Miles, Catino's mother. The Emma Bell Miles content documents mountain life on Walden Ridge in the early 20th century. The collection also includes Catino's correspondence with Emma Bell Miles biographer, Kay Baker Gaston. Materials in the collection are dated from 1866 to 2000.
This ollection contains research notes, letters, and drafts regarding her eponymous biography of Appalachian author, naturalist, and artist Emma Bell Miles ranging from 1972 to 2011 The collection also includes short stories, poetry, essays, illustrations, and other material by Emma Bell Miles that range from 1902 to 1921.
This collection includes 184 field recordings and interviews totalling more than 400 hours of documentary footage of serpent handling congregations in Southern Appalachia, featuring extensive footage of church services and interviews with church members of many of the major Holiness serpent handling congregations from 1975 to 2004. Additionally, the collection includes more than 2,500 photographic prints of congregants, church leaders, and services.
This collection contains interviews regarding the history of McCoy Farm and Gardens and Walden's Ridge located on Signal Mountain in Tennessee. Mmbers of the McCoy Farm and Gardens Board conducted the interviews in 2022.
This collection contains interviews conducted in 2021 and 2022 regarding the life of Emma Bell Miles, a woman who lived on Walden Ridge in Signal Mountain, Tennessee from 1879 to 1919.
This collection contains home movies and photographs that document the Jesus Name Tradition in Appalachia from circa 1970 to 1985.
This collection includes correspondence, financial records, scrapbooks, and other personal papers as well as manuscripts and drafts of books, articles, and poetry authored by Robert Sparks Walker, a Chattanooga naturalist, writer, poet, and local historian dating from 1896 to 1962. Highlights of this collection include the manuscript and dummies for Walker's Pulitzer Prize nominated book, Torchlights to the Cherokees: The Brainerd Mission.
- Mountain life -- Appalachian Region, Southern 5
- American literature -- Southern States 3
- Appalachian Region, Southern 2
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Religious life and customs 2
- Natural history -- Tennessee 2
- Signal Mountain (Tenn.) 2
- Snake cults (Holiness churches) -- Appalachian Region, Southern 2
- Southern States -- Religion 2
- Walden Ridge (Tenn.) 2
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Cherokee Indians -- History 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Missions 1
- Chestnut blight 1
- Endothia parasitica 1
- Environmentalism -- United States 1
- History -- Tennessee -- Chattanooga 1
- Horticulturists 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains) 1
- Naturalists 1
- Naturalists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Diaries 1 ∧ less
- Miles, Emma Bell, 1879-1919 4
- Bachman, Jonathan Waverly, 1837-1924 1
- Bachman, Nathan Lynn, 1878-1937 1
- Bachman, Pearl McMannen, 1879-1938 1
- Baxter, Bethany N. 1
- Brainerd Mission 1
- Burks, Dalton 1
- Catino, Jean Miles (1902-2000) 1
- Ford, Judith Miles, 1902-1983 1
- Gaston, Kay Baker 1
- Hood, Ralph W. 1
- McCoy Farm and Gardens 1
- McCoy, Martha Bachman, 1904-2004 1
- Miles, Frank (G. Frank) 1
- Miles, Joe Winchester (Joseph), 1905-1997 1
- Miles, Mark (Frank Mirick), 1909-1913 1
- Neuhoff, Alyssa 1
- Serene, Kitty Miles (Katherine), 1907- 1
- Vance, Mary 1
- Walker, Robert Sparks (1878-1960) 1
- Williamson, W. Paul (William Paul) 1 ∧ less